August 28th, 2026
Lake Forest, California
Woke at normal time today and got ready.
Went down to the office to have breakfast, but not much
there, just had a bagel with some cream cheese.
Back to the room to finish packing and load up the bike.
Do not have far to ride today, so need to try and leave late
enough so that I do not arrive too early at my next hotel stop.
We got going sometime after 10am, but did not really pay
attention.
I road the old route through the middle of Barstow, still a
few neat old buildings around, some restored, many not.
I was looking for a fuel stop, though still had plenty of
fuel, usually like to fill up first thing anyway.
Nothing on the route till near the edge of town, and they
were either on wrong side of road (and annoying to try getting back across busy
road) or some odd gas I had never heard of, so not going to risk it.
I had enough to get all the way into San Bernadino if I was
careful.
Continued on the highway out of town and heading generally
south.
Not much out here, some small towns, ranches, the railroad
and lots of abandoned buildings along the road.
After about 20 minutes I saw a fuel stop I could use and
pulled in to fill the tank. Then went inside
to buy a few cold drinks.
Drank part of one outside, then put them in the backpack and
got back on the road.
Short distance past there we reached the only stop I had
planned for the day.
Elmer’s Bottle Tree Ranch.
This unique feature was created by a local after he was left
with a huge collection of bottles and misc stuff that he and his father had
collected over 50 years of wandering around the local desert.
He constructed metal tree stands that hold the bottles and
place them and many other things around a 2 acre spot on his property to share
with people passing by on the old Route 66.
The site came about sometime around the year 2000, so was not part of
the original Route, but has since become a well-known stop for those making the
drive.
The creator has sadly passed in 2019, but his family has
done what they can to keep the site open and accessible and are working to
increase its relevance to the local region.
I pulled up to the side of the road and got off the bike to
do a few photos with the bike and bottle forest behind it.
I then went inside to wander around a bit checking out the
bottles and some of the other cool stuff just lying around in various spots.
I only stayed about 5 minutes as it was already over 100
degrees and just too hot to be outside for long without a good wind blowing.
Back on the bike we continued down the route till it curved
over and went into Victorville.
I followed the route into the center of town and down the
main street. Not much here, but some
cool buildings still.
I was hungry, and had not really seen anything unique for
food, so just stopped at Del Taco for lunch.
Ordered my food, sat and ate, and just as I was getting
ready to leave, started a conversation with a guy a next table who was also a
rider, and wanted to do some longer rides.
Finally went out, got on the bike and headed down the road.
But had to pull over after a while as the Google Maps was
off its meds again and acting stupid. I
had accidentally closed the app on the phone, and when you bring it back up
again, it just freaks out. The app is so
damn stupid, I cannot figure out you are at point 4 on the route and just wont
work because you are no longer at point 1.
I had tried to fix it, but the interface on the phone is so
flaky and poorly designed, it usually just screws things up even more.
But since the active map was going to end soon and I would
change over to a new map (Google only lets you put in about 10 stop points on a
map, so been using 3-6 different maps to follow a custom route that is not just
the fucking Interstate. Another brain-dead
design feature….one that never existed 15+ years back.
But the new map was giving me headaches too, and cannot work
on it while riding, so pulled over into a parking lot and got things working,
sort of.
For some reason when you edit a route, it breaks the Maps
ability to actually know where you are in relation to the map itself.
So, the map moves in the directions you are going, but is
showing you the map 1-2 miles away from where you actually are. This only happens if you have the map setup
to always show the road in front of you.
Now, if I lock the map to always have North at the top, then
it shows the route, but you have to make the mental notes to know what
direction you are turning and such.
So, back on the road, we soon got onto the Interstate as it
lays over the original road for much of this section, or has cut the original
alignment into small, mostly undrivable sections.
Not far down the freeway and traffic grinds to a stop. California freeways, more like parking lots
on a good day.
Finally got past the slow down (an accident on side of road,
all lanes were open, so while slowing down some was expected, the average retarded
driver has to slow way down and stare, causing a 10 mile traffic slow down).
Eventually reached the Cajon pass (and finally got the map
working in the better mode again).
Here there are many old alignments still visible, some you
can drive, but they are all gravel and mostly dead end sections.
But about half way down the pass, you can exit off and run
on one of the alignments all the way to the bottom of the canyon.
Once I reached the bottom, you pass under the freeway on a
newer road, and then pick up Cajon Blvd which is the old alignment, well the
main one. Another older alignment runs
parallel a few blocks over after the split at a Y.
This segment takes you through a mostly empty zone of
warehouses and industrial buildings, then some not so great parts of town,
finally reaching the old center of San Bernadino, also not a very nice part of
town.
I had really been needing a bathroom, but nothing presented
itself. I pulled into a McDonalds, but
it was just packed with people, and few groups standing outside and I was not
going to leave the bike with all the gear on it sitting there while I fought a
crowd inside to use the bathroom.
Once I reached the part of town where the road turns west
again toward the coast, I bid my farewell to Route 66. Spending another 3 hours fighting local
street traffic to get to Santa Monica, then fighting it again to get out of
there was not going to happen.
I am tired, over heated, and frankly over Route 66. Nothing I would care to see along the
remaining route, most of it has been rebuilt anyway, so this is where the trip
ends.
I turned the opposite direction and went over a few blocks
to get back on the freeway.
At this point I will not head down to the south side of Los
Angeles Metro to visit a friend.
It will still take a few hours, but will be all freeway till
the end. Which means a lot of slow
driving and sitting still as it was now 1:00pm on a Friday and things go from
ugly to fugly.
Ran down I-215 to Riverside, with pretty much non stop traffic
jam that way.
Then picked up highway 91 which had several slow downs, but
some nice open sections as well.
Then I had to ignore the GPS again, another case of it wanting
to change my route, but thankfully this time I knew what highway I needed, and
it was not the toll road it wanted me to take.
Grabbed highway 55 south and then picked up I-5 to continue
south.
55 ran smoothly, and I-5 started well, but had several slow
downs as well.
Pulled off the freeway in the community of Lake Forest and
found my hotel just off the Interstate.
I was an hour early, so stopped at the gas station next door
to use restroom finally, and buy a cold drink.
I then rode next door and checked to see if I could get the
room early. Thankfully they were able to
allow that, so checked in, grabbed a luggage cart and unloaded the bike (which
I had just parked in the road under the front overhang.
Once unloaded, I moved the bike over to an empty spot in
front of the building and went up to the room.
Unloaded the cart and then sat and tried to cool down as I
was just dripping sweat and body was hot to touch.
Finally changed into street clothes, took the cart back down,
and walked next door to buy some water, and a few more cold drinks.
Back in the hotel I made contact with my friend and he chose
a restaurant to meet me at, but a bit later in the evening, about 9:00pm.
It was a 25 minute ride over to the place, so in the mean
time I did some work online, then took a 2 hour nap as I was exhausted.
When the time came, we skipped the boots and pants, just
taking the jacket and helmet to ride over since we would only be on side
streets, no highways.
Got over without issue and found the place. It was basically dark out already, so did not
see much along the way, but was mostly nice, higher end residential and commercial
places.
I parked and walked over to the restaurant, and a quick text
let me know he was a few minutes away still.
Once he arrived, we went inside and got our table (he had
made reservation to make sure we could get a place).
We talked, ate, and had a good laugh about old times.
We actually closed the place down, leaving at 11:00pm.
We then talked for another 30+ minutes in the parking lot before
we both left to head back to our respective homes.
In my case, that was a return to the hotel, which was
another 25 minute ride.
Arrived, found a parking spot and secured the bike, then
went inside and up to the room.
Was not tired yet, so did a few things online, but did not
do any important work, just goofed off.
Finally, time to turn it all off though and go to bed, have
another long hot ride tomorrow.
Catch ya down the road.
Todays Route:


No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think?