August 3rd, 2026
Balgonie, Saskatchewan
Woke at 8am and sat in chair for a bit.
Then took a long hot shower to try and wake up.
Packed up the bags and changed into most of the riding gear.
I was going to have breakfast today as there would not be
many lunch options on the way from what I had seen, and I got half price
breakfast as a hotel guest.
Walked over to restaurant and had eggs benedict and a Coke.
Back to the room I put away the last things and started to
load the bike.
Took first bags out and holy smokes is it cold outside
today.
Next load I wore my jacket, finished securing the bags and
went to go in for next batch.
Door will not open, card is not working for me to get into
the building.
I had to walk around the front of the hotel and get a new
card. She tested it and it was dead,
would not even reprogram. This was card
I had been given last night to replace the one I lost.
Went back to room, and this time took both room keys with me
in case one stopped working.
Loaded the bike, and yeah, one of the keys stopped working
on the room door bit later.
Last load was the backpack and riding gear as always. Quick check of the room and we left.
Finished loading the bike, geared up and rode up to the
front of the hotel to drop off the keys.
Then we verified I still had good amount of fuel, so would
just stop about 120 miles down the road at a nice stop I had found to fuel up
and would then grab something to eat or drink as that would be around lunch
anyway.
Got onto the road and headed east.
Flat, dull, boring, empty.
Not many other words to describe it.
Occasionally, there would be something cool looking with the
slight hills and the color of the particular crop in the fields, that would
make me record some video, or a river valley breaks up the flatness, but mostly
just rode past nothing.
I had to stop after an hour to put on the rain jacket, was
just too cold out, was starting to shiver.
Finaly reached the Circle K I wanted to get fuel at.
I pulled up to the pumps same time another guy did on a CanAm
3-wheel bike, and we exchanged a few words while filling up.
I moved bike up to front door, same as the other rider had
and went inside. Waited my turn for the
restroom and then bought a few small taquito things for lunch and a tea to
drink. When I checked out the guy gave
me a Mtn Dew in a can, guess it came with the two taquitos as part of a special
deal?
Back outside I talked some more with the guy on the CanAm,
he was heading to Alaska, so had some questions about the roads and fuel stops
and such.
Told him what I could, then he left and I ate my food and
got back on the road.
Few hours later I stopped again to use restroom and bought a
candy bar as I was feeling big hungry, or stomach was getting upset, hard to
tell sometimes.
Another hour down the road and I was ready to stop for fuel
again, getting close ¼ tank, and that is usually when I try to fill up. Also, stomach was starting to feel very
unhappy.
Pulled off at a small truck stop, and headed for the
restroom first. Intestines were very unhappy.
After that ordeal, we fueled up the bike and got back on the
road.
Not too much farther to go, but getting close to 5pm, and
skies were still very overcast, and was raining off in distance in at least 2
directions.
Made it to the north side of Regina, and skirted around the
city, going through a few work zones, but at least missing the congestion in
the city.
Took a small highway out of the area heading east that ran a
few miles north of the main freeway.
The hotel sits on that freeway, but right where this other
highway intersects, so was able to get to hotel with out going on the freeway
today.
Pulled up to hotel in the small town of Balgonie.
Office was closed!
I was working on calling the number on the sign when car
pulls up and it’s the hotel manager (actually owner I found out later).
He got me checked in, and then we got into long conversation
about my trip and his own travels in Canada years back.
He was very helpful and making sure I had everything I needed.
Motel is an older property, but it’s had some work done on
it, and he seems to put in every effort to make sure people are happy.
When we finished talking, I got the bike moved over and unloaded.
Then before I even got out of the gear I wanted to walk over 2 buildings
to a pizza place for dinner. Riding pants
were warmer than my other pants, so would change later.
Got outside and it started to sprinkle lightly. Glad I covered the bike tonight.
Got to the place and the hotel owner was actually there
getting his own pizza.
Talked with him while we waited for our food. His arrived and he left and mine arrived then
as well.
I stayed and ate, though I think the restaurant had actually
closed, but a lounge is part of the building as well, and that was still open.
Once done eating I left and walked back to the room. Owner was sitting in his car outside eating
his pizza still. Not sure if he lives on
site or in a house in town. There is a
space that is likely living space for the hotel owner/manager, but perhaps he
is not using it?
Back in room I got out of riding gear and will now work on
blogs and maybe get the video I did yesterday uploaded.
Will also copy footage off the cameras as well.
Will try for an earlier night tonight, long ride today, and
similar for tomorrow.
Catch ya down the road.
Todays Route


No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think?