July 29th, 2026
Edmonton, Alberta
Slept in today. While
the alarm woke me at 8:00am, I went back to sleep for at least another 1.5
hours.
Once awake, got showered and dressed and went down to the
motorcycle in the garage to put the cover on.
It was too wet last night when I arrived, so left it off.
I then called the motorcycle shop that I wanted to get the
bike into, but they were unable to get me in anytime in the next 3 days.
I did more research and found another non-dealer shop and called them. While they normally would schedule a week out, the guy said he could get me in first thing in the morning tomorrow. So will need to get bike there by 9:30am, but only about 8 miles away.
![]() |
| My Hotel |
I then decided to walk over to the Royal Alberta Museum which was only about ½ mile away and see what it had to offer.
The walk over was through downtown, which is much like other
downtown areas of a large city.
Lots of tall buildings, that look nice from a distance, but
up close are crumbling, graffiti covered and surrounded by run down
infrastructure and trash. About every
block I had to hold my breath from some dude sucking down a marijuana cigarette
which smells like the ass end of a rhino after a dinner of rotten food.
The roads in downtown Edmonton are also going through some
major constructions. Not sure you can even get into town without having to go
through some section of it, probably half the streets are partially or fully
closed for construction.
This includes detours for sidewalks as well.
On the walk over saw a few older buildings with interesting
architecture and in front of the city hall was a huge water works of a low
shallow pool with dozen fountains in it.
Its setup to allow people to play in it, but was a bit cool this
morning, so no one had yet come down to get wet.
Found the museum and bought my ticket.
Two levels with several sections across them.
I started in the corner in the Bug Gallery, which is a
small, very humid and warm room, filled with several displays of various
insects from around the globe.
Some interesting species and was intriguing to watch the few
that were active. Many though just sat
in a corner not moving, mainly the spiders.
![]() |
| Giant Guadaloupe Island katydid |
Few tanks with fish in them as well talking about how bugs
work in the ecosystem.
Once done with that, I skipped the kid’s gallery which was
just stuff for small children and went into the special exhibit room. The current exhibition is about Death.
The displays inside talked about the concept of death, the
biology and science of it, and the spiritual aspects of death from the view of
several different cultures and faiths.
Overall was a fascinating exhibit and probably spent more
time reading there than in the rest of the place.
Next, I went to the history of man gallery, which focused on
the history of human occupation of the Alberta region. It has sections on the early human migrations
into the region during the Ice Ages and then First Nation peoples who still
occupy the region today.
Also covered the European expansion into the region and the
impact that had and moved onto the modern world and the way locals dealt with
global and local events. (Wars, weather, and other socially important times).
I then went upstairs to the natural history section.
This gallery had a few parts.
First was a general background on the geology of the region
and how it has formed over millions of years.
Next to that was a gallery full of rocks, minerals, and gems. Showcasing the various types and categories
of rocks and focusing on those found in the local region and within Canada, but
there were samples of rocks from all over the globe.
Then it moves into the early animal life that was in the
area, with diorama displays and artifacts including several complete animal
skeletons. They had a few dinosaurs and
bit more ice age era animals on display.
Then it covered the local wildlife still in the region with
various displays and information boards.
A small room off that had a special exhibit on memories,
showing objects with personal stories behind them. Most of them were vary locally focused, so
did not mean much to me, but interesting concept.
Once done with all the galleries, I went out to the main
hall to photograph a few items out there, and then went up to view the meteor
on the 2nd floor display area.
This rock from space has a very special link to the First
Nation people and has a history going back many generations with them. It was removed from its original impact site
in the 1800s by a European businessman and spent time in a few museums out east
before being returned to Alberta.
Its current home is temporary while discussions are held to
figure out a final spot to place it that will serve the spiritual needs of the
local First Nation peoples and still allow others to view and experience it.
Technically it is just a small iron meteorite remnant that
is not unique in any fashion, so the rock holds more value to the local First
Nation people as the spiritual object they hold it to be.
Once done, I then perused the gift shop and bought a few
rocks, then left the museum.
I was starving at this point, not having eaten anything yet,
so researched restaurants in the downtown area on a bench outside the museum,
then once I found a place I walked over to there.
Chose a Donair sandwich shop called Top Donair
They were not very busy and was a nice place inside.
Guy at the counter took the order and cooked it up.
One of the best chicken shawarma sandwiches I have every
had. Also had a few samosas as
well. Overall, a very good lunch.
From here I walked back to the hotel and spent time in the
room editing video.
I was thirsty, so walked a few blocks over to a local bodega
selling basic foods and such. Bought a
bag of chips, some water to refill my hydration pack and a few drinks.
Later in the evening, I decide to eat dinner at the
restaurant in the hotel. It is on the
top floor (24th) and is a revolving restaurant, doing a full
revolution every 1.5 hours.
Got seated with a good view and then watched the scenery for
a bit while it moved.
Then I ordered an iced tea and decided to have the wild
mushroom soup for appetizer and the lobster ravioli as the main course.
When done, I talked myself into a desert with a chocolate
ganache gateau. 3 layers of chocolate in
a cake with a raspberry sauce on the side.
Very delicious.
When done I returned to the room
and did more video work.
See you tomorrow.










No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think?