Fix the Bike and rest day.

July 22nd, 2026

Whitehorse, Yukon

Woke early today, but then went back to bed for a while.  Then finally woke and since I had no clean towels decided to skip the shower.  I just had one last night and did not do much, so still good.

Started working on the bike after a few minutes to wake up.

Took a few things off and started to go through every nut, screw, and bolt and make sure it was still tight.  Most of them were good, a few gave a little, a few took a good full turn, and one of the wing nuts for the license plate was about 2 turns from falling off!

Once done, I then cleaned as much of the clumped dirt still clinging to the bike.  Most of it was on the crash plate, rear frame, under the seat, and stuck to the wheels.  Also used the brush to clean the chain of any dirt stuck to it.  (Brush pretty messy now, so just going to toss it and pick up something new).

I then slowly oiled the chain to get all the links and ran it around several times.  I put the gauge and the chain is just slightly on the loose side, so was going to adjust it.  However, the tools for the axle nuts on the rear wheel that come with the bike are just too short to get any force on them.  I cannot get the nuts to break loose, so will just have to hold off on that for now.

I will see if I can find a dealer or good shop in the next larger city a bit farther south, get out of the crazy prices zone I am still in. (Beyond the crazy prices that everything goes for all ready).

I then repaired the bar that holds my GPS, charger ports, and go pro mounting.  Had to replace both brackets which are a bit larger, so maybe take more abuse this time.  Also lost 3 of 4 set screws that hold the bar at the correct length and avoid it rotating, but had to just use regular bolts as no one carried the small set screws.

But it is now back on the bike securely and all the mounts were reattached and setup to the right angles.

Cleaned up all tools, and then used the Gorilla tape to fix the hole in the tool bag that a screwdriver ripped open.

While I had it out, I tried to use it to fix the zipper on my rain jacket, but was not going to work like I hoped.  I did tape up the ends of the seam to hopefully keep the zipper from separating even more. (Right now, it is still usable, but if it gets much looser, will not do any good at all.)

Once done I then cleaned up and went to have lunch at the restaurant.

While there I got into a conversation with the guy working the place about music as he had some really good electronic music playing in the background.

Things were pretty slow, so we could talk, but eventually others started to show up, so I excused myself and went back to the tent to work on videos.

I think I got about 30 minutes of work done and was suddenly so tired I could not keep my eyes open or head up, so decided to lie down for a bit, and was weird feeling lying there.  Felt like I was floating or something, and then I must have fell asleep as I do not recall anything specific after that.

I could hear the motorbikes coming in as this was about when checkin opened up, but when I finally woke around 7:00pm the place was full, about 2 dozen people and bikes.

I refreshed myself and then walked over to the restaurant to have dinner.

It was busy, but still some open tables.

I took one of the tables, right in the front of the counter and sat down to wait.  And wait.  And wait.

The owner who saw me come in did nothing, and the staff was not paying much attention either.  After 20+ minutes I just got up and left.  Guess they do not need my 20-30 dollars tonight.

I came back to the tent and ate a few of my Tuna packs, and then decided to wash the lunchbox as the zippers were so jammed I could not close them.  Took it over and run it through the shower and sink and scrubbed it some.

Back in the tent I laid it aside to dry and using some paper towels I cleaned the dust off the food packets and then took the utensil set over to wash it as I had just cleaned the fork before using it.

I then started to edit a video and was about done when I needed to get up and walk around, so went outside and eventually ended up talking with the two tents nearby.  Two guys from the US (did not get the state) who were on the way back after riding the Dempster and a guy from Mexico who was also heading over to explore more in Alaska.

When done, I came back inside to finish the video, but will wait to upload it till tomorrow, late enough now I need to get to sleep.

See ya tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think?