Game Over, flying out of Mustang

October 1st, 2026

Pokhara, Nepal

Woke with alarm at 7:00AM.

Feeling beaten still.  Was down by around 10ish, and only up twice for bathroom visit, but still not feeling rested.

Wandered around the atrium a bit, then stepped outside to watch the locals going about their daytime starts.

Went back to the room and shocked that we still had hot water, but did not want to take a full shower, so just washed head and face.

Went back in and sat on the steps of the atrium as there is no chair in the room, but did not want to sit in Café and make them think I wanted something.

Just played games on the phone to wake up.

Guide found me when he was walking upstairs.

We talked for a bit, then went to café and ordered breakfast.

Still no internet or phone, but his talking with various guides and local government people tells us that the roads south are still not passable, and will be out of service for at least 5-6 more days.

We do not have that kind of time.

We briefly think about riding down to the area to see what the story is, but that would take at least 3-4 hours, and waste fuel, which is getting harder to get.

It’s decided that our ride is over.

He talks to hotel about getting a car to take us the 6 miles back to Jomson to reach the airport, and also about storing the bikes at the hotel until a time when they can be retrieved.

We both got and pack, and since the small planes have limited luggage space, we will have to wear our riding gear on the plane, so much joy!

We get geared up, socks and boots are still damp, but nothing that can be done.

Finish packing, checked out the room and then left to wait in the lobby.

Guide arrived a few minutes after me.

Hotel staff took my large bag and we walked out of the small alley ways to the main road area where a car was already waiting to take us to the airport.

We crammed into the small SUV and then took about 15 minutes to drive up to the town and get dropped off in front of the airport (right on the main highway).

Cost me 2000 rupee for the ride. (guess I am paying for the extra transport).

Guide talked to the security in front of the airport entrance for a bit, then dropped bags on the ground and I waited with them while he went inside to see if we could get on a flight today.

Since we have not internet, we could not book online, and the main ticket office on the street was also down, so he was trying the direct route and going right to the airline desk inside.

Guide was gone about 20 minutes or so, and when he returned, he said we could go now.

We walked into the airport gate and found the departures building.

We stood around for a few minutes, then he overheard some others talking that NCell, the cell company I was using, had restored service.

I took my phone out of airplane mode and sure enough, I had service.

He used my phone to call the tour company people back in Kathmandu to explain what was going on and update them on our status.

We then went up to the ticket booth as they were ready for us.

Staff weighed our bags (both overweight) and then took them to checked bag security.

I then had to pay for my flight and bag fees, which came to $215 US dollars.

We then got boarding passes, and were ready to board.

We went through what appeared to be a non-functioning metal detector and then waited outside rooms for security search.

Gender specific rooms where you would be patted down and asked if you were carrying anything prohibited.

Carry on bags were not checked though, or perhaps only if security was not satisfied with answers?

We then went into waiting area and sat down.

Cell service kept going in and out still for me, and his came back, but only phone and only emergency calls, so still not fully restored.

Soon after they started calling us up and checking our passes, then we went outside and waited on the steps next to the plane parking area.

A plane landed soon after, and it was ours (Summit Airlines).

We waited while the plane was unloaded of passengers, and then they let us walk over to start boarding.

We were toward the rear of the line, so would be near back of plane.

We also saw the luggage being loaded into the rear cargo bay.

This was a small plane, and LET L410-UVP-E20  made in the Czech Republic.

I had the last seat on the left side, which was a single seat row.  The exit door was right behind me.

After boarding, we left soon after, the engines had never even shut off, just powered way down while we boarded.

We taxied to the runway and took off.

Noisy plane, we were right behind the upper wing mounted engines.

Great views though.

Flight was amazing as you were constantly going along the mountains and above the valleys, but still had massive peaks rising several thousand feet above.

As we moved down the Mustang valley the clouds started to increase, as did the turbulence, but nothing too bad, just seems worse in a small plane.

We arrived over Pokhara in about 20 minutes and landed.

Quickly arrived at parking area, and deboarded the plane.

We walked over to a simple building where they would bring the checked luggage and waited.

Once that arrive and we had claimed our bags, we left to find a taxi.

That was quick process as they were all lined up nearby.

Driver took us to the same hotel we had stayed at last time, though while we were in route the guide had called, and supposedly the place was full.

Some back and forth with the tour agent in Kathmandu and suddenly we had rooms at the hotel.

We had actually arrived at the place before this occurred, so just sat in the taxi waiting to see what would happen.

Once we were good to stay, we got out of taxi, I paid the 800 Ruppe cost, and we checked into the hotel.

Got into my room (guess the guide will stay at another place across the road that is not as costly?) and got out of the now over heating riding gear. (it was quite warm and humid here compared to when we left Jomson).

I then took a nice warm shower and cleaned myself top to bottom, while I had done this the night before, I had still been wearing dirty clothing and probably smelled quite rank by now.

I then sat down and did some updates online as I figured people might be wondering where I was after a week of silence.

I then gathered all the smelly, dirty clothing into the bag provided by the hotel, filled out the form and called down to have them come get stuff for laundry service.  (not very cheap, but desperately needed).

They came up in a few minutes and took the stuff away.

I then put stuff on chargers that were very low and put boots out on the patio in the direct sunlight to dry, and hopefully kill of some of the smell (they are toxic!)

I then went downstairs to meet up with the guide and go to lunch.

We walked over to a nice place about ¼ mile away and both had pizza for lunch.

Then we walked back, stopping so I could get some water and a Coke, and then returned to the hotel.

He had earlier worked with the tour company to get our flights and airport transfers booked, so we will leave tomorrow around 11:30AM.

We will still meet as usual for breakfast around 8:00AM and then plan any last minute details.

A car will be picking us up for the 20-30 minute ride to the larger airport, and then after 1-2 hours we will take the 30 minute flight to Kathmandu where another car will take us into town.

I am going to be dropped off at the same hotel I stayed at last time as I know the area, it is a nice place (though not cheap) and I still need to pay for the last night I spent there due to the mistake made by their front desk staff.

I will be in Kathmandu for 3 more nights, then will be leaving Nepal for the next stage of this adventure, but will cover that in a later entry.

For now, I am going to try working on getting all the previous weeks entries online and then think about dinner, either eat at the hotel if serving, or see about some place close by, though may even go back to same place we had lunch, nice menu there.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think?