September 19th, 2026
Kathmandu, Nepal
Woke today at 8:00AM and got showered and dressed.
Went up to 5th floor to the restaurant for the
included breakfast and met up with Avo again.
Nice place with a good sized indoor seating area, and a
smaller outdoor patio, which is where the omelet guy was working to build your
omelet of choice.
We talked about various things while eating and then he left
to pack, but will return when done.
While waiting, Ganesh, a local partner who will help me with
some trip planning arrived, and then Avo came back soon after.
We discussed various ideas, and settled on a possible plan
and then Ganesh made several calls to try and work on the logistics to get
something going in a few days’ time.
Avo left again so he could get prepared for his departure at
noon, he has to fly out and head to another country to start some scouting for
a future ride to be offered there.
I stayed with Ganesh till we had all the details worked out
for the bike trip and a day trip around the city for tomorrow.
Once done, I went back to the room and started writing the
blog for the previous travel days, then when he messaged me, I went down to the
lobby to say goodbye Avo and talk a bit with Ganesh before he left
Back to the room to finish the blog and upload it, and then played
around online a bit.
By this time, I was getting hungry, so gathered my stuff and
left the hotel to walk around the local area.
I had seen an interesting sandwich shop just a block away on
Google Maps, but when I walked by, it was a small take out only shop, and quite
busy, so decided to find something else to eat.
I walked a bit down the road, looked at some art from a
local, nice stuff, but not anything I need anymore.
Turned down a small alleyway to check out some T-shirts. Guy
was friendly, but kept talking about how he had not had any business today.
I found a cool looking shirt and when I asked the price, he
asked me what I wanted to pay as I was his first customer in a while. Without thinking I said out loud that I would
probably pay X for the shirt in the states, so he agreed to that price, probably
twice what he would have asked for…doh!
He then did not give me any change (small amount owed), instead
giving me a small Nepal Flag patch, but as that was actually something cool, I
was happy with it. And the price paid
was not bad, just did not take advantage of my location and get it cheap. 😊
I bought the shirt as I will
probably need a spare anyway, I usually pack 1 less so I have room to buy a
shirt if need along the route, though this time the shirt is not really related
to my trip, but still cool.
I then walked back toward the hotel, then around the corner
to check out other places along the road.
The area is mostly hotels, small food shops, and huge amount
of retail, selling all kinds of things.
Lots of travel agents as well.
I browsed a few book/map stores, thought about buying a
paper map of the area we will ride, but probably not needed since I have the
guide.
Stopped at a small shop to buy a coke and then wandered a
bit more. Checked out most of the money
exchange places, the rate was pretty close among them all, varied by only about
.8, so not a huge difference. I will
probably get more money tomorrow, though might try the ATM to see what its rate
is.
I went back to room to drop off the shirt and coke (bought
it for later), then walked back over to a restaurant around the corner I had
seen.
Kathmandu Burgers.
Looked good, familiar food, with a local twist.
Had the special, which was two patties, one ham, one chicken,
both breaded it appeared, toppings and on a toasted bun. Had some fries and a coke with that.
Was a good meal, and cost just over $5 for it all.
Sat outside and watched the traffic while I ate.
Quite hectic at times, narrow one lane roads. The cars and bikes mostly are one way, but do
see some bikes going other direction, and rickshaws and pedestrians going
both. You just walk on edge of road, no
real sidewalk, occasionally a small patio in front of shops, but those are only
short sections.
Had a few people trying to get my attention from street, some
kid begging for food I think, another guy either wanting, or asking if I wanted
something to smoke, I believe, and a few that I just ignored and did not even
look at.
A few women, all with a single child, sitting on road begging
as well. Makes you wonder if this is
real mothers in need, or just all part of some group to get money out of
tourists.
As I had little local currency, I am not going to be “donating”
anything today anyway, so ignored them.
After lunch I returned to the hotel, checked out the window display
of shop near hotel that sells knives and such.
They had some really cool looking khukuri blades, but not something I
have room for, and travelling around with it would make things complicated.
Back in the room I answered a few messages, then scrolled
online for a bit.
My lower back was hurting, so I laid down on the bed to
stretch it out, and withing moment I must have zonked out.
I woke up 4 hours later!
I was not super hungry, but needed some food, so walked upstairs
to check out the dinner options at the restaurant.
Got seated, looked over the menu and decided to order what I
thought would be a small starter, and a main course.
The starter, chicken mo-mo’s, was about twice what I thought
it would be, but the small dumplings were really good, and had 3 sauces to work
with as well.
The main course was a chicken dish. It came out with pasta and veggies, all
sizzling on a very hot plate, putting off steam!
Very good though, but now I have had more food than I should
have.
I only drank water to help though.
Then they asked about desert, and like an idiot, I asked to
see what they had. Ended up getting a
brownie with ice cream. Should not have
eaten that much extra, and wasn’t really that good either, not bad, just not great.
Once done, I thought they might bring me a check, but instead
asked if I wanted coffee or tea.
I decided to get a nice chai with milk to finish off the
night. Was okay, but liked the stuff in
India better.
I then got up and walked to counter to pay for my
dinner. I went ahead and paid now
instead of charging to room since I am still not quite sure how the room is
setup, do not want it getting billed to the tour company since they booked the
nights and paid for them for me.
I then came back to the room to work on stuff.
Got the payment in for the bike ride trip, so good to go
there. Still working with other tour
company to get final payments for a trip I will do in a few weeks, needed an updated
invoice for some missing options.
I tried on the shirt I bought earlier, which was largest
size he had. Sadly, it is a bit snug
across the chest and definitely over my fat gut. Shoulders and arms are good, so perhaps as I
lose some weight it will fit better.
Will need to be careful with washing, as it’s a 100% cotton, so will probably
shrink.
Tomorrow I will do a tour of the city, checking out at least
4 main sites of local significance. This
will be by car with a driver/guide. I
will pay the guy cash tomorrow for that trip as it is smaller amount I have
funds on hand for.
Will meet with the local tour guy again tomorrow I think
when I pay him, so can get some final questions answered, and will meet again
on Monday with the bikes and guide to figure things out before we leave on Tuesday
morning.
Now that I have this typed and ready to go, will get it
online and then probably go to bed since I need to be up a bit earlier tomorrow.
Or I might start editing the next episode of the Arctic trip
instead, depends how tired I fell in the next 30 minutes.
Catch ya down the road.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think?